TWO WINS IN ONE
EDMONTON, AB. – Spruce Grove, Alberta’s Bruce Broughton extended his championship points lead in the Northern Provincial Pipelines Late Model Series with a weekend sweep of Feature events at Castrol Raceway. Both victories took place on the same day. A major thunderstorm delayed the start of Fridays Gold Cup event by almost three hours. The NPP Feature started at 12:30AM Saturday morning. Broughton would again visit the winners circle in Edmonton just 18 hours later. “Proud to be the point leader in the Series that’s for sure,” smiles the driver of the #61 MDM Foundations Chevrolet, “to win both Gold Cup features was a bonus because everyone steps it up at the bigger events.” All NPP Series race teams had to contend with a wild swing in track conditions.
“It was north and south tracks both races,” exclaims Broughton, “the rain gave us a sticky heavy track the first night and for some reason the track went extremely dry on night number two. It was a dry as they come that’s for sure.” Broughton credits his crew for getting him to the winners circle both nights. “I have a great bunch of guys behind me. The car hooked up both races and the changes and adjustments they made to the race car got me here.” It’s the third Feature win in a row for Broughton. A feat which was last accomplished by NPP Series competitor Dwight Kennedy back in 2007. “Three in a row is something special. I’ve never done it in a NPP Late Model before. For my team we are very proud of this accomplishment.”
NPP RACE NOTES:
– Leduc Alberta’s Trevor Emond won all four heat races driving the #5 Dodge for Kevin Clark who was attending a wedding.
– Curtis Moore severely damaged his #80 Dodge in a heat race crash Friday night and is done for the season.
– Rookie driver Pete Head blew his engine in Saturday night’s heat race.
– the pole sitter has not won a Feature race in 2010. Only 7 Features have been won from the pole position the last 30 NPP Series events.
– Northern Provincial Pipelines sponsors Jason Solwolds Sprint Car. Solwold won the 2010 Gold Cup on Saturday night.